Friday, November 10, 2006

What can we learn from the late Ed Bradley?


Its all about being aggressive and competitive when getting the story, right?! One of the kindest, most gentle journalists on the earth passed yesterday of leukemia-Ed Bradley. His fellow journalists say that Bradley's style swayed away from the forceful and yet he was still successful reporter for the investigative news program 60 Minutes and the first Black journalist to be a White House correspondent. I'd like to think that "you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar," especially if you don't have a naturally aggressive personality. I'm not one who will stray too far from my normal temprament to get what I want and I sense Ed Bradley was the same way. What do you guys think?

ES








To view this article go, here!

4 Comments:

At Friday, November 10, 2006, Blogger Medill Media Watch said...

I think the best journalists are the one's who can be objective, but never lose sight of their character--not get caught up in the business so much that they lose heart. I think people see through facades. Reporters are required to act quickly and move quickly. This doesn't require and should not include overt aggressiveness. I think reporters reach their goals more effectively when they treat their sources with respect. Anger and frustration don't reward a journalist with anything. They set a journalist back. Like Ed Bradley, there are a number of well-respected journalists in the field whose success is largely attributed to a genuinely nice personality.

-JG

 
At Friday, November 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your post. Very important to acknowledge a true journalist-gentleman. I think that agressive reporters get their stories, they often get it first but quickly their competitive, selfish, condescending temperment becomes more than apparent to co-workers. Journalists who get too caught up in the business isolate themselves and eventually no one will want to work with them, and everyone will be aware of their true demeanour. I'd like to hope there will be more Ed Bradley's in the future, and journalists like you who acknowledge the impact he made on society.

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to say that there has to be a balance between being agressive and sincere. I really don't think you can be a good reporter if you lack that fire and competitive edge that will get you to the story first.

I bet Ed Bradley had that fire to him..but he reported in a professional manner and never lost sight of who he was (from what I have read).

 
At Saturday, November 11, 2006, Blogger Medill Media Watch said...

I agree with you. Yes of course we need to get the story, but we cannot forego sensitivity and decency in light of a story that makes us want to lick our chops. We can be decent and still get the scoop.
wj

 

Post a Comment

<< Home