Thursday, April 05, 2007

When will the majority be heard?

12,000 more guard troops may be going to Iraq… this was the headline on MSNBC’s website and was in Brian Williams’ Thursday night newscast. I cannot help but get angry at this headline. I just shake my head thinking… really?!?!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17971410/

That is the story. Take a look at the video story too.

I have never been one to get into debates over the war, really. I will, however, say that I think what makes America so great is that it is a democratic society and in it people are able to disagree. There are always going to be opposite sides of the issue and different beliefs, but in America the majority will always win. Whether you are in the majority or not, the majority always wins. And… in time, that majority will change. History proves that.

Now, new orders expected to be signed by Secretary Robert Gates will order the deployment of 12,000 troops that will come from four Guard combat brigades in different states, according to NBC News’ chief Pentagon correspondent, Jim Miklaszewski.

Increasing numbers of American people are conveying they want out or at least some type of plan of withdrawal. But, are they being heard? It’s naïve to think Congress is not hearing the people. House and Senate members are coming out in numbers disagreeing with the President.

I have very close ties to this story. One of my best friends from high school actually went to West Point to play soccer. At the time, it sounded amazing at the time. But, as time passed, it was worrisome. Now, she is about to graduate and about to be deployed to Iraq.

In Methods, I happened to profile one of her friends at West Point. A fellow senior cadet, also about to graduate and also about to be deployed gave me some very interesting insight back when the first surge was announced. The cadets asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons.

“It will help somewhat, but the military isn’t trained,” the cadet said. “We are not a policing force, and they are having people do something they aren’t trained to do.
Something has to be done. We can’t totally ignore it, but to blindly move troops in… there needs to be a better overall plan.”

Now, it must be noted that while numerous cadets disagree with the reasons for being there, they are all ready and willing to go fight if told to do so.

But, tonight, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Peter Pace was featured on Nightly News. He said troops that troops have not been trained to “full spectrum,” meaning they are being re-deployed before they are ready. Troops are supposed to have two full years between deployments.

Military members themselves and officials are communicating they are not trained or not ready. I have two major points in this blog. First off, why are the people not being heard? An increasingly overwhelming majority of American citizens are against this war. Second, military members and officials are saying the troops are not ready, and the army is worn down. Why aren’t they being heard?

2 Comments:

At Saturday, April 07, 2007, Blogger In Ingles Please said...

I agree the deployment of more troops is horrible. But, I feel that the underlying issue is that America is always playing the role of the big brother and interjecting itself into other people's problems. I too have friends that are on their second tours in Iraq and I do everything I can to stay in contact--write, send packages, etc. The fact will alwasy remain that Americans live under the illusion that we control who we elect etc. But the truth, the electoral college does this. When we vote, it is a popularity contest. A few times in history, the more popular presidential candidate is not the one that gets elected. Shocking I know, but true. In any event, we can go around in circles about the war in Iraq---but there is only one thing that sticks out in my mind that I will never forget---the day that I saw innocent human beings jumping to their deaths from atop the Twin Towers because it was either do that or burn to death. While I can find reason to go to war and a good reason at that---the problem is that this one has spun out of control and its motives have drastically shifted.

 
At Saturday, April 07, 2007, Blogger Amanda said...

I can't believe I didn't know that 12,000 more people were being deployed until I read this blog. Why wasn't this topping every news show/headlining every paper? If anyone in my family was in danger of being deployed, I don't know how I could stand it. And like AG said, what has to be done before it gets across that most Americans don't want more troops sent into Iraq? It's a bad thing when we have a Congress and a President of different parties. We're going to be in limbo for awhile.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home