Saturday, March 03, 2007

I want to be a soft news web celeb

OK, so my computer just shut down unexpectedly, and I lost the post I've been working on for about two hours. Needless to say, this is going to be short.

http://abcnews.go.com/Amanda/

The link above is to a video blog I watch often. I love it! This girl is cute, funny and she reports a lot of fluff news. I think this is great for ABC. They took a "web celeb" from a popular web site, and brought her to their own. ABC is brining in the youngsters, which might mean the seeds of viewer loyalty have been planted.

ABC taking video blogging mainstream is great news for us, the fledgling journalist. It might mean there will be more broadcast jobs to go around.

I wouldn't mind doing a video blog when I get out of school. I think it looks like fun, and that was my main motivation to be a journalist, to have a job I don't mind waking up in the morning for.

I also wouldn't mind just reporting the kind of stories this girl talks about. I love soft news. My favorite thing to do on the weekend is to curl up with a cup of joe and a scone and watch CBS Sunday morning. Afterward, I watch Tim Russert and become depressed. I then get cheered up and end my morning with Ebert and Roeper. I have a big crush on Roeper, I don't know why.

I do like reporting hard news, but I don't thrive off of it. I'm just not motivated to finding the truth about WMD's. I rather find out the truth about c-sections being on the rise.

I could never be a Bob Woodruff, and go to Iraq to do war coverage. I'm a big panzy. Is this wrong to feel this way?

OK, now I have five million other things to do....

JK

1 Comments:

At Saturday, March 03, 2007, Blogger Medill Media Watch said...

No, never wrong to feel this way...in fact, it demonstrates a kind of journalistic pluralism that makes a good news team good. DIVERSITY of opinion is just as necessary in a newsroom as diversity in class, culture, sex, sexuality or religion.

ER

 

Post a Comment

<< Home