Saturday, February 03, 2007

Bear down on something else, please!!




http://www.chicagotribune.com/

http://www.nbc5.com/index.html

If you were to read a major newspaper in Chicago, the headlines will be all about the Bears. If you were to turn on a network affiliate, the images would be from Miami. Super Bowl fever is running high in Chicago and our major news organizations are capitalizing on it.

I'm not from Chicago, so maybe I just don't get it. But ever since the Bears made the playoffs its story after story on this team. Is this news? How many people need to analyze Rex Grossman? He's not that good, OK, we get it!

This makes me question which news stories they possibly ignored in January. Did they put on page 6 a story that needed page 1? They might have. It's a good thing the Northwestern News Report is around!

I compare this type of coverage to the story we watched last week on the car chase. Every news organization is doing it, and in the race for audience, every paper and station in the city needs to tell as many stories as possible.

I know this town is crazy for its Bears. I'm crazy about my Gators, so I understand the passion. I just feel that with alderman elections approaching, deadly weather happening this weekend and new legislation moving through City Hall, I think the media should be a bit more balanced.

Once again thank goodness for the Northwestern News Report. We rock!!

JK

6 Comments:

At Saturday, February 03, 2007, Blogger Medill Media Watch said...

I understand what you are saying JK, I almost wrote about this too.

But I also understand all the coverage. If you can believe it, there was more coverage of the Steelers last year in Pittsburgh leading up to their Superbowl appearance. (They won, of course, and it was the best day of my life.)

But, I digress.

There was an article in the Chicago Tribune before the Bears/Saints game asking fans if they would really be upset if the Saints won. She said football at its best allows a city to rally around something and let the people forget about their troubles. And what city needs that more than New Orleans?

I get your point, but with all the corruption and bad news going in this city... Let the fans have their moment. Let them forget about things and rally around their team. It will all be over soon. Unless there's a parade, of course! ;)

 
At Saturday, February 03, 2007, Blogger Medill Media Watch said...

As if you guys didn't know. The last post was from JE.

 
At Saturday, February 03, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AGREE JK... news about the Super Bowl is EVERYWHERE. And actually the continued coverage makes me get more hyped up about Sunday. I was really tired about hearing how they won the championship two weeks ago, but now, I don't mind watching the stories on TV. They can be a bit interesting.

And yes... It was more than 20 years ago that Bears won the Super Bowl, so I can understand why the city is all up in arms about it this year. JE has a point. Everyone is so excited about the possibility the Bears may bring back the goods. If anything, it'll fade from the front page/top of the rundown in the near future.

 
At Sunday, February 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more coverage and more craziness. But I guess we'll have to see how today goes first.

Also - how much has really been going on? I know the cold is a huge story, and I've seen a lot of coverage about it. And with the Bears happening - do people really want to hear about the aldermanic races?

I totally understand the excitement - my team hasn't won the Roses since 1938 - and you can darn well bet I'll be celebrating an RB win for at least a year!

And it's so cold here - being outside isn't really an option - that of course Super Bowl events are huge.

 
At Sunday, February 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how to strike a balance in the news when there's a gigantic and rare achievement for local players of a ball-related game.

...

...

...

But this is ridiculous.

 
At Monday, December 14, 2015, Blogger xumeiqing said...

151215meiqing
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
tiffany and co
ugg boots
lebron james shoes
canada goose outlet
the north face
louis vuitton bags
fake oakleys
ray-ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors outlet
kevin durant shoes
louis vuitton handbags
canada goose
ugg slippers
north face jacket
michael kors outlet online
polo ralph lauren
coach outlet online
louboutin pas cher
coach outlet
abercrombie & fitch
louis vuitton outlet
lebron james shoes 2015
ralph lauren outlet
jordans
swarovski jewelry
canada goose jackets
michael kors
oakley sunglasses
michaek kors handbags
ugg boots
cheap soccer shoes
hollister clothing
louis vuitton
michael kors outlet
p90x workouts
ugg boots clearance
air max 95

 

Post a Comment

<< Home